- Who We Are
- Heritage Presbyterian Church is a church plant of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) currently meeting in Hartwell, Georgia.
The reason we are here is to glorify and enjoy the true and living God and to call others to do the same.
- What We Believe
- We are convinced that the Bible places a lot of importance on what you believe. The apostle Paul even told Timothy in 1 Tim 4:16 to ‘keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching (doctrine), for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.’ Since we are a part of the OPC, we believe that the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms accurately summarize what the Bible teaches.
Here is a brief summary of what we believe and what we teach at this church:
- We believe that the Old and New Testaments are the Word of the God. Scripture was inspired by the Lord, which means that He used His chosen prophets and apostles to write everything He wanted the church to know about Himself. Because it is the Word of God, the Bible is powerful, without error, and our final authority in all matters of faith and life.
- We believe in the one only, living, and true God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is one God in three persons, all of whom are equal in power and glory. We believe that God is eternal, is in control of all things, and is working all things together for the praise of His glorious grace. He created the world, rules over the world, and is actively working in the world to gather His people to Himself.
- We believe that on the sixth day, God made Adam and Eve in His own image, in knowledge, righteousness, and holiness. By his free choice, Adam sinned, and, as the first representative of all mankind, brought sin and corruption into God’s good world. Because of this, all naturally born humans are sinful in their minds, hearts, and wills, are spiritually dead, and in desperate need of a Savior.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God. In the fullness of time, He took to Himself a human nature, was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary, was born of her, and yet was completely sinless. He is both God and man in one person. He is the great Prophet, Priest, and King over His chosen ones. Because of this, He is able to be the representative for His people to God as their Mediator. During His life, Jesus perfectly fulfilled the requirements of God’s law, earning righteousness for His people. In His death, Jesus suffered all the penalties of God’s law and made the perfect payment for sin. This atonement satisfied the wrath of God. We believe that Jesus died in place of His people, and through His death, they, and they only, receive life.
- We believe that when the Holy Spirit works in the hearts of a dead sinners, He causes them to see their sin and the glory of the gospel. When this happens they believe and are saved. It is by faith alone in Jesus Christ that sinners are delivered into salvation. It is by grace that sinners are saved, not by works, so that no one can boast. However, sinners are saved into the service of God. Therefore, when sinful men and woman receive salvation, they will begin living lives characterized by good works as they live by the power of the Holy Spirit.